Friday, January 11, 2013

The Happiness Journey by Ajahn Brahm

I attended a free talk by Ajahn Brahm, a Buddhist monk from London but who's now based in Australia. He has 3 free talks as organized by Buddhist Fellowship Centre. The Happiness Journey was the first one, which I didn't intend to go because I thought I am a pretty happy person. But things changed, just one night before the talk, I took a look at the date and exclaimed,"Hey, I can make it!". So, I went. At the very last minute, my Personal Trainer who is a very open minded Christian, told me that he too would like to come. I welcome him of course. He enjoyed it and even donated to the temple. I was shocked.

If I forget everything about the almost 2-hour talk, I will not forget the story Ajahn Brahm shared in the very beginning. He said he has shared this numerous time and will not stop doing it (because the same people keep coming to the talk ... haha, he has great sense of humour). After he told the story, I totally agree. One of the simplest and yet most profound metaphor that I really hope everyone can benefit from it.

The Chicken Farmers
There are 2 chicken farmers. One is dumb. One is smart. Every night the chickens have the same rituals, they lay eggs and poop in the chicken shed.The next morning, the farmers will also have the same routines, they will wake up and go to the shed. However, what they collect are totally different and that sets them apart.

The dumb farmer will collect the poop and leave the eggs in the shed. He then brings the poop into his home to his family. Not only it stinks up the entire house, it makes the family very uncomfortable.

The smart farmer will collect only the eggs and leave the poop behind in the shed. He will use the poop as fertilizer much later. He then brings the eggs to his family and some to the market to sell. The family is well fed and he earns some money from the sales. 

The metaphor was shared when the interviewer asked how can one be happy. Here are the explanations to the story:
The dumb farmer represents people who are not happy.
The smart farmer represents people who are happy.
The poop represents unhappy thoughts, unpleasant moments of the past.
The egg represents happy thoughts, the pleasant moments of the past.
The home and the family represents your own mind, your home, your family, your friends, people whom you share your stories with.

The reason why people are unhappy, is because, even after the unhappy events have passed, they still carry them in their mind. They then share the stories to their friends/family and "stink up" the entire ambience.They pollute their own mood and those around them.

The reason why people are happy, is because, they only remember and share the happy moments. This doesn't mean they forget the bad, they use those bad moments as "fertilizers". They learn from it and grow from it but they choose not to bring it to their minds or to impose those to their home, family, friends, etc.

This powerful metaphor, if applied in real life, you will be a much happier person. How do I know it? I have walked the path without me realizing. I am a happier person in 2012 than in 2011, I realize it's all because I have been collecting "eggs" and not "poop. If you are familiar with my "nonsense" on Facebook, I have been collecting my eggs in the form of:
  • Moment of the Day (MOTD)
  • Awesomeness of the Day (AOTD)
No matter how ridiculous it can be for others, those moments and awesomeness make me extremely happy. As I tend to have a memory of a bird, I write and share it through Facebook. For more personal moments, I wrote them in my journal which I then able to write them out in a letter and the moments I collected for 4 months, were worth 10 pages in point forms. I surprised myself.

It is not difficult to be happy, if happiness is really what you are looking for, if not, don't bother. The key is really to be so aware and mindful of your own mind. Once you are aware and mindful, the next step is be very deliberate on the thoughts you allow to park themselves there.

So, what are you collecting now? Poop or eggs? I know for sure what I want and no turning back.

If you are interested in the 2 other talks by him, the information is below. All is welcome. Literally, all.
No registration needed. 

"Never allow anyone to control your happiness." - Ajahn Brahm

1 comment:

John said...

Donna, if you have the chance, try to attend Ajahn Brahm's Metta Meditation retreat. It's very blissful and serene experience. I attended his retreat on Metta meditation a few years back in Sentosa.

Some details here:
http://mettarefuge.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/ajahn-brahmavamso-teaches-loving-kindness/