Friday, March 30, 2012

Don't Rain on My Parade, Shoo Shoo!

As you are going through the day feeling extremely happy for no reasons, you project your happiness through hyperactivities and your energies could simply be felt across the screen. Those who know you well understand that it’s simply one of those moments when you are elated. Those who don’t know will wonder, “Are you on drugs?” I got that quite often, especially recently. I have been hyper happy for no reason. But not all the time, when I slide down to the valley of the darkness, it turns really ugly. But while I am high and mighty and being the titaniumish self me, I can be quite annoying to some. I wonder why happiness is annoying to some, shouldn’t joy be contagious? Apparently not to all.

When I was asked as such and being treated differently, I did question myself. Was I doing something wrong? Were my extreme joyous acts offensive? Was I abnormal? How can happiness be wrong? How can showing you are excited about something deserves to be poured with sarcasms, cynicisms and unnecessary teases. Though I didn’t portray my confusion and dislikes towards such comments, deep inside I was really not comfortable with them. But to “maintain peace” and to “please people”, I tone myself down, or I simply ignored what they said and changed the topic.

But as I move on further in life, I realize, I don’t think I have done anything wrong by being happy and I definitely think I don’t deserve such rain to be poured in my parade. Now I totally understand the song by Barbra Streisand – Don’t Rain On My Parade. It’s my life parade after all, if someone shows any kind of rain to it and you don’t like it, feel free to bring your parade elsewhere. Unless you really need some shower, then go stick with them for quite sometimes.

As cliché as it sounds that life is short, life is actually very unpredictable. Don’t waste another breath being in the company of people who keep raining on your parade. Don’t waste another second accommodating people who don’t accommodate you in their lives. Move on. Trust me, eventually, you will find people who will march together with you in the same parade. You may play the drum, they may play the trumpet. I’m not saying those rainy people are bad. They are just different. Maybe to them, you have been raining on their parade. So, move on, march into your own band. Each of us simply has different melodies anyway.

What I learn for sure is that if someone questions your overflowing state of happiness, never doubt yourself. As it’s always better to be happy and elevate others with it than to be doubtful and bring others down with you. You will find eventually where you really belong but you must first create the space for it by getting rid those that don’t fit.


"Don't tell me not to live,
Just sit and putter,
Life's candy and the sun's
A ball of butter.
Don't bring around a cloud
To rain on my parade.
Don't tell me not to fly--
I've simply got to.
If someone takes a spill,
It's me and not you.
Who told you you're allowed
To rain on my parade!"
- Don't Rain On My Parade by Barbra Streisand



No comments: