Saturday, January 29, 2011

Goal Setting for Super Lazy People

Happy new year everyone! Well, I know. It is kinda late. But I am a serial procrastinator. So you can't blame me for being late. Besides, Chinese New Year is not here yet, so I can still be technically early.

One of the typical activity most people do to welcome a new year is by setting new goals. Though most of the goals tend to be overlooked and undone, we still set it anyway. It is kinda like a ritual.

This year, I have not really set my goal. But as a shortcut I do have 2 words of the year that I would like to focus on and zoom in further (when I'm not procrastinating :p). They may not be a very detailed plan but these 2 words will be my priorities for year 2011.

Health and Wealth.

Typical and as generic as anybody can think of, I know. Who don't want to have them both will be really silly. But do you actually make an effort at every moment to make choices that support those 2 simple values? May be not. I don't too. Not yet.

But the more I let myself hear those words, like a broken record or even some kind of mantra, the more I will make conscious effort in making choices that reflect on them.

I used to over plan. Each categories of life, I have something I would like to achieve. By the end of the year, no surprise there. Nothing has been achieved! -.-" So, this year I want to do things differently. Narrow my focus on those 2 items. Hopefully a more concrete plan will spring up afterwards.

But I do know I have been taking a few steps in making sure I am on the path of Health and Wealth.
- Increasing my financial knowledge by attending seminars
- Diversifying my portfolio to mitigate risk
- Sharing my experiences to people who are close to me
- Having a strong mental image that the next thing in my portfolio will be an investment in private property at great locations
- Getting myself checked up and stop complaining about how expensive the charges can be. Because it will be more expensive when something really does happen and it will be too late and even more expensive.

I am not really sure what the next steps are going ahead from here. But I am sure they will reveal themselves. Life works that way, doesn't it?

So, what are your word(s) of the year?
What do you choose to focus on?

Have a great year ahead, everyone.



4 comments:

Angie said...

Hi Donna !
Happy new year my friend !!!!! :)))
Nice to read you on there :)

When you say "getting checked up", do you refer to your health, and when you talk about the "extra charges" is it also the case ?
If so, have you ever considered getting a better health simply through your dietary choices ? A lot of people do, including myself and it is a lovely way to actually achieve a strong health and plenty of energy !! it saves big on costs too :)
Just random food for thought...

D.D. said...

Hi Angie!!! Miss ya, girl! Happy new year to you too!

Yes, getting checked up = my health as recently there's some anomaly in me so I did visit doctors a few times. It irked me especially to know that it costs A BOMB! It's like whatever you have saved suddenly just go to pay the doctors + dentists.

I did consider of changing dietary choice though I wonder how feasible it will be as .... I am so lazy to prepare! oops ... Guess for a start I need to be more concious in my choices. But I will not eliminate your suggestion at all. :D Keep on sharing your journey too, Angie. I am reading from afar.

Thanks for dropping by!

Angie said...

Hehe Donna, miss you so much too, it would be so cool if we could teleport, wouldn't it ? ;)

Yes, at first, I thought I was at the front step of a mountain, but once you start walking up and digging in good health books etc, healthy eating is much easier than it looks, it's a question of choices and sticking up to them.
Perhaps I should create a blog entry on what motivated my choices, it would be interesting to share.
Latest one is about choosing food when you buy :)

Pleasure my friend !
Lotsa cold Belgian chocolated hugs !

Angie said...

Here Donna, I have tried to write my story. Hope you can find inspiration there. Enjoy !

http://www.vegetarian-gourmet.angiemathot.net/2011/02/01/why-vegetarian/