Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An Eulogy with Wicked

Recently, I had the privilege to watch Wicked in Singapore. A musical that has been glorified by a few of my friends who were lucky enough to watch it in US. I am grateful Wicked managed to find its way to Singapore and I didn't need to fly so long to watch it.

Image courtesy of www.applause-tickets.com

Geez ... what an awesome performance it was. I was genuinely amazed. Love the story. Love the songs. Love the lyrics. But most importantly, I just love the lesson it tried to impart through the "perceived" good and evil, that some things are simply not what they seem to be. In the darkness there is light and vice versa.

Ideally, I would love to watch Kristin Chenoweth plays Glenda but I don't think that will happen as she has left the Broadway scene for quite a few years now. I first chanced upon her in Pushing Daisies, although she was not the lead actress but she sure made sucha big impact and you couldn't help but to love her so much. I remember her more than the lead actress anyway! At that time I was ignorant about her big role in Wicked.

Then, she appeared again in my momma Oprah's farewell spectacular and she sang "For Good". Another round of ignorance, I didn't even know that song was from Wicked. I only know,"Wow! What an appropriate song hor ...!" Then I dug deeper and found out ... damn, this is from Wicked! Damn, the lyrics is so awesome. Damn! I love this song to the core and then a light-bulb-moment dawned on me ... I want this song to be played in my funeral as an eulogy, as a thank-you note to those who have given me something in life.

Ok. Call me crazy. But those who are really close to me know that I have been really fascinated with "death". I love to visit quirky places that have relations to death and so far I have been to Les Catacombs (Paris), Cimetière du Père-Lachaise (Paris) and Trunyan Village (Bali). More to come.

Then a friend introduced me to a Latin phrase - Memento Mori which means "remember your mortality" or "remember you will die". What a beautiful and morbid concept. But how can it be morbid when that is the absolute truth about life? We will die one day. You will never know when, won't you? Unless you choose to take your own life by your own hand. But majority of us do think we are going to live forever. Going through everyday simply by ticking the to-do lists. Sure, nothing wrong with that actually. But on your death-bed, once you have fulfilled them, I just wonder, will all be worth it? I am not sure. I can't answer this question myself.

However, I do know for sure, up until now, quality relationships with people who are genuine and connected well with your souls are worth it. When you do look back, you will think of those moments how someone have touched your life, how someone have awakened you and pushed you to grow further. You will also think about the great happy moments that you have. Occasionally you may dwell into the dark sides but those will not last, unless you love to stay in the dark for long. I know I don't. Those happy shiny moments will takeover and simply make you feel so much better. Then you know, you do have a life well lived.

I have been really fortunate and blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful souls in this lifetime. I have also been fortunate to be able to cut off the energy suckers, not easy but sometimes it is simply necessary to do. Hence to all the beings that I have been in contact, what else can be more appropriate then when I am gone from this earth, to thank each and everyone of them by singing "For Good" as an eulogy for me to you.

Here, I share a snippet of the beautiful lyrics and its video when Kristin Chenoweth sang for Oprah, while the men of Moorehouse College who had received scholarship from her, appeared. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I do while remembering those people who have indeed changed you for good.

PS. Apparently, having a rehearsal by singing to my best friend was not a very good idea. Many tissues were "killed". Guess I will keep the rehearsal session to myself.

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good



2 comments:

Yseult said...

In case you missed it: Chennoweh was also in Glee and did quite an amazing job.

http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/Glee_10227/season_1/episode_5/

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=RG2AEVA4

Sorry, you'll have to watch the episode to get to her beautiful version of 'Maybe this time'. It's simply amazing. (Around 12 minutes in.)

D.D. said...

Bettina, thank you :D I will check it out. I found a link that's not the full episode here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylGjafGx40M&feature=related

:D

She's really awesome :)