Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lichun or Chunli? Does It Really Matter?

Today ... eh ... yesterday - 4th of February 2012, was the first day of spring. Chinese calls it "Lichun" (立春). My friend said, Chinese believe what you do on this day, will set a precedent to the days to come in this new year.

It's apparently quite common that people will bank in cheque or cash to their account in hoping to have more of such occasions in their lives.

If that is so, this simple Saturday has brought so much joy, laughter, and slight tears to remind me that I have been really fortunate to be able to breathe, laugh, cry and share.

My Lichun, to be more accurate, started at midnight where I was having fun with my time-proven Frenchies group - taking photos with cute baby, eating and drinking great stuff and discovering generous souls through the games we played. Pure fun.
Image courtesy of me but baby is not mine

I then began my day with the two great supporters in my life over brunch, planning and plotting for more exciting "mini adventures" to come. Continuing from my previous conversation with them, we plan to have at least one new thing to do per month. However silly it may be such as - to approach a stranger and ask him/her "What's your purpose of life?" - well, that won't really happen ... just yet.

I continued with doing what I love to do - learning French in a carefree and without pressure environment. I also discovered through the lyrics of a song by Francis Cabrel how fortunate my life has been compared to those people who crossed borders with the risk of being shot dead just to have a better future. Saw 2 beautiful Black-Naped Orioles flying around outside the window of my classroom. Talked to a few really nice and friendly classmates of mine and got to know them better.
One Black-Napped Oriole sitting on a tree branch

My last stop for such special day was having another gathering with another group of French classmates (ex- and/or current). We had great food, wine, game, conversation and most importantly pure joy and laughter. Overall, my Lichun ended on a perfect note complete with the occasional serenades from a possible wannabe theatre singer. I had an awesome 24 hours of my life with a few minutes of work glitches that came through my phone.

The awesome Yusheng (Prosperity Toss) - Photo courtesy of DQ3

Whether it will turn out to be true that what happens on Lichun will be an overview of the year to come, one may never know. But by going through a day with such mindset has made me more aware of my own thoughts and expectations. When you set your day with such positive outlook, it doesn't mean glitches won't rain in your parade. You may get nudged here and there but the overall effect of psyching up yourself a notch has its little wonder. You are after all, what you decide to see, hear, feel, think, and ultimately choose.

If Lichun is just some superstition created by somebody, then, what's stopping us in making everyday a Lichun-ish day? That everyday is indeed a new fresh beginning. That everyday is different and unique. That everyday can be a Lichun or a Chunli or whatever you want the name/label to be. That everyday is a blank canvas waiting for you, the artist, to create something as per you wish. Then why don't you just paint it your way? It may not be perfect, you may have a small canvas, but, make it yours. Own your day.

This year is my first time celebrating such concept. I am glad to be aware of it and have the opportunity to spend it with people who enrich my life in all ways possible. I extend my overflown and rebuilt joy of the week to all of you, who even bothers to read my humble blog. In the spirit of Chinese New Year, I would like to say,"HUAT AH!"

No comments: