Sunday, February 12, 2012

Goodbye and Thank You, Whitney!

Singapore - Sunday, 12 February 2012, I woke up to the news that the diva (positive way) has took her last breath and left this earth. What a sad news, but may be it's just the hours for her to leave.

The first thing came to my mind were her songs ... so many of them. I grew up literally with her "presence". My very first exposure to her song was - "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)", an upbeat and dance-able song. I saw it on MTV and I don't think I knew who was Whitney when I was still so little. The rest is history ... she sang ... her songs became #1 hits and remained in my heart and mind. I believe most of you will feel the same way too. Wasn't she amazing?

At the moment when I found out about her departure, "The Greatest Love of All" spoke to me.

Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all

What a beautiful words, I thought to myself ... "Why didn't she love herself more?", I wondered.

But come on, who am I to judge. Nobody is perfect. She lived her life, her way. It's not easy to be someone whose life were constantly under the public eyes. Think about it, does it really matter if she stumbled and fell? Most important of all, through her imperfect life, she has shined her brightest through her God's given talent - her voice. She has touched lives and inspired millions through the writings of others - her songs. Some of her songs are not originally hers but she made them better ... she added "value", tuned it up, made it her own and voila ... created a legacy.

She has lived a life that contributes, and for that I am so grateful that I lived in the era that she shined the brightest. Thank you for your voice, your songs and your spirit to keep on living despite your difficulties that I will never comprehend.

As it has been sung by her in "One Moment in Time", she said ...

Give me one moment in time
When I'm more than I thought I could be
When all of my dreams are a heartbeat away
And the answers are all up to me

Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time
I will be
I will be
I will be free

She did have many moments in time and finally, she's free now.
Rest in peace, Whitney.
Thank you for making a difference by being the best you could be.



PS. Someone has compiled all her hits on this Youtube
playlist. If you are like me now, drowning and emo-ing in her voice, hope you will enjoy it.

No comments: