Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Autumn Leaves in Singapore

6.30PM on a bus, joining others who can't wait to be where they are destined to be. Most look really tired. Some are playing with their "smart" gadgets, like moi. Some are staring blankly through the windows.

2 French ladies board the bus and my ears seem to have an auditory orgasm. With my limited vocabularies, I try to pick up as many words they utter. It is not easy.


Then, the bus stops in front of the traffic light. You may have heard the saying - stop and smell the flowers, but how can one do that on the bus. One of the French lady "sort-of" does that.


"Oh, what beautiful autumn leaves."


Autumn leaves? Singapore? I think I need to go back to my French school or I need to clean my ears.


"They remind me of the chilly weather that I love."


Seriously? Is she high? I wanna know what she's drinking. French autumn wine? I was still looking up and down for the autumn leaves she was referring to.


"When the leaves change their colours and they fall onto the ground. J'adore ca."


I see only green bushes. Lady, where is it?


The friend did mumble something, I couldn't really hear. The lady continues ...


"Having such painting at home. Oh, ça c'est la classe."


Aaaaaahhhh!!! Painting!!!!!!

She is admiring this huge painting in one of the art gallery while the bus stops. I didn't even notice it though I have been passing it a few times.

Her keen observation and verbalization of the entire experience have also transported me to this autumn-ish place. I felt the chill. I felt the breeze and I even felt the "classiness" if you hang this huge painting in your bare living room. That's how powerful our mind is. What you choose to observe and pay attention to will determine your experience and imagination.


It is indeed an ordinary day with paths and routines that you experience on regular basis. But if you are able to spot just one new thing during that journey, you will see life with a totally new perspective.


Do just that! Try it! If you don't feel a tingle in your soul, you haven't paid enough attention to life. Maybe you too need to stop and stare at something. I did and I went back to Paris. :)

No comments: