Friday, July 20, 2012

The Lighthouses of Life

Everybody has a home team: it's the people you call when you get a flat tyre or when something terrible happens. It's the people who, near or far, know what's wrong with you and love you anyway. These are the ones who tell you their secret, who get themselves a glass of water without asking when they are at your house, these are the people who cry when you cry, these are your people, your middle-of-the-night, no-matter-what people. - C.M.

The above quote was written by my friend whom I knew since October 2011. We were in the same French class for 2 months, then we remained Facebook friends. Between March - April 2012, I posted a few comments on her photos of food, which always made me salivate during ungodly hours. Since then, our friendship has blossomed and I was really honoured when she considered me as her "home team". I must say, it is one of the most splendidly written original quote among my friends. Simple. Authentic. Down to earth. Straightforward. Warm. Relatable.

Almost 2 months have passed since the quote was first uttered, but it seems to have a very special shadow effect on me. Though I couldn't really relate to it in my personal context, I don't really have a "team" per se - well not many people will get themselves a glass of water without asking when they are in my house; however, it has set to be a silent reminder in my journey through life. Then the full blown realization came when I had more quiet moments due to my Facebook Fasting for a week.

You see, my dear readers, these 5 months, my life has taken a very big whirlwind turn. It was almost unrecognizable in a very amazing way. I was and still am following my bliss. My life was extremely active. My schedules were packed. I met so many new people in such short period of time. I love it. I love all the experiences and connections I made. Every moment I am simply grateful for each and every one of them. Be it talking to a stranger at the hawker center or simply buying someone completely random a drink, I love all of them. I was moving really fast in life. Too fast that I feel like I am on a speedboat, sailing speedily on the vast ocean called life; observing all the wonders life has to offer. 

At first, they were exciting, new things almost everyday. Like a kid's first visit to a candy store. 

"Oh, look at that fish, it's huge!"
"Oh ... there's that beautiful ship decorated with so many lights. There must be some kind of party there!"
"Wait a minute, the bird was amazing, they are making a V-formation."

As I sailed further and further from the shore, I felt its magnificence and yet I also felt a little bit stranded. 

A speedboat, alone, on this amazingly vast ocean together with the mystical company of the night.

I stopped. I breathed in. I breathed out. I took it all in.

Then, I looked around and I saw a few small glimpses of light at the back of me, coming from different directions. I turned my speedboat back to look at them closely. I went "WOW", they were of different colours. Different shapes. Different blinking rates. Different locations. Some to my right. Some to my left. Some on the top of the hill. Some were on the ground and totally not blinking. They were all bright lights but yet they were different. Yet, all is the same thing - they are the lighthouses of my life - the reminders that they are there when I need them. They are the willing witnesses to my life - listening to my glories and perils. They are my homes.  

Lighthouses don't go running all over an island looking for boats to save;
they just stand there shining. - Anne Lamott

My lighthouses are the people in my life who matter greatly to me. They shine uniquely and independently from each other and yet they have the most genuine intentions for me at all time - that I am safe and sound. They are fully grounded and all stand on the same side and never fail to have my back. When I am home, with them, we will share stories and nonsense. Then they let me go, again, for my adventures and wishing me nothing but the very best not forgetting shining my path while I'm gone. My amazing people, my awesome friends, my earthly angels - my lighthouses. 

My existence will never ever be the same without your genuine attention and interest in me. You know who you are.

I strongly believe everyone has his/her own home team or lighthouses. You may name them anything you like, as you feel right, because in the end of everything, you know these are the people who will not forsake you. Who see you for who you are and still love you to bits. Each loves you in their own way.

Some through their words when you need acknowledgments and validations. 
Some through silence and consent. 
Some through deadlines to make sure you reach your goals. 
Some through questions as they are genuinely interested in your stories. 
Some through actions and simply be there when you need them the most. 
Some through crappy jokes to brighten your gloomy days. 
Some through health tips because they want you to be healthy. 
Some through books they lend to you because they think you may learn a thing or two. 
Some through reading twice what others only read once to ensure they don't miss any important points. 
Some through a sudden appearance on your phone with no greetings needed because you are already in their thoughts.
Some through their smiles and hugs.
Some through their nags and words of warnings.
Some through treats and gifts.
Some through their availability when you call them out last minute.
Some through their persistence, letting you know you are always on their mind. 
Some through visiting your Facebook page (known/unknown) because they are interested to know about what you have to say.
Some through simply telling the truths.
Some simply by being their authentic selves because they respect you enough not to fake who they are when they are with you.

Who are your lighthouses? 
Who are the members of your home team?
How have you been treating them? 
Have you been taking them for granted?
When did you last speak to them? 
Have you told them, in your own unique way, that you appreciate them?
If you leave this world today, will they know they have made such big impact in your life?
If not, what are you waiting for?

As I continue sailing my small speedboat in this vast ocean called life, I always remember to turn back and wave frantically to my lighthouses to tell them that - I see you. I appreciate you. I never forget your existence. I am continuing my adventures now but you will always be my homes, truly.

Image was taken on 20th of May 2005, can't believe I finally have a purpose for this after 7 years.
Ikea table lamp rocks!


1 comment:

Sunshine23 said...

Excellent my dearest NB!! A short list of people run through my mind as I read along and you are definitely one of them.. I hope I am one for you too..
I will 're-read and 're-read again...
You know I love ya!!!