Thursday, July 26, 2012

How Would You Know It Will be the Last? (A Dedication to My Mentor - Dennis Ng)

I lost an admirable friend and a great mentor today. I'm still in shocked as I'm typing this because 2 deaths of the people I knew around the same time, playing Cashflow game in 2001-2003, simply not amusing any more.

How would you know, really, that the last time you saw that person, would really be the LAST time?

You wouldn't know ...

I didn't too.

Monday, 25 June 2012 - we had a gathering at Park Mall where Dennis Ng, my financial mentor whom I personally saw his progress from zero to financially free, was giving (who would have known) a last lecture. As eerily as this might have sound, I felt very off when I saw him. He loved to do this to people who come early to any talks of his, he opened up the floor by welcoming any questions. At that point of time, I felt like asking him - are you okay, Dennis? You look so skinny. Is everything okay? But I refrained myself from doing so. Not going to put him on a spotlight like that but I texted a few of my friends about this.

At the end of the talk, he did reveal that he's struggling with his health. My heart was so crunched. This guy, who's struggling with his health and yet he's still doing what he does passionately - sharing the message of financial literacy. I was and still kinda not the type of person who gives people hugs. My BFF is training me though, asking me to hug few of my close friends. I summed up the courage before I left the room, I asked Dennis - Can I give you a hug? I did. I tried so hard to hold back my tears. Now I know why I was compelled to do what I did then. I followed my heart and never look back and I glad I did it because now, no more chance.

He reassured me then - I'm fine, don't worry. I'm fine.

He was not fine. He is gone now.

How would you know, my friends, that the person you see now in front of you, will be the last time you see them? How would you know that whatever you strongly believe in really don't matter when death comes knocking at the door?

You wouldn't know.
You really wouldn't know.

The best advice he has ever given to me is to acquire self knowledge and honestly express yourself at its best. People can teach you anything but ultimately, you will come out with your own knowledge - your unique way of fishing instead of being given the fish. His legacy is simply by reassuring people how ordinary and average he was and yet through believing 100%, he achieved what he couldn't even imagine would be possible.

Thank you, Dennis for your life. I am really honoured and so privileged to know you. To walk those paths with you carrying our Cashflow board game to people's houses for free. You helped me when I was just a student to attend those investing seminars. Most importantly, after all these years, you never forget me and acknowledged our experiences in any of your talks as if I was one of the witness of your journey, which I was. You were my real life proof of possibility. I saw your journey and you were who you said you were. Hope your legacy will continue. You will be so truly missed by me.

RIP.



PS. For some of his teachings and interviews, can be found in this youtube link.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did Dennis Ng die? An accident or some terminal diseases?

D.D. said...

Hi there
He passed away due to the failure of his heart. It is a condition he has for very long time.