Thursday, June 14, 2007

Why Me?

Isn't that the question that most of us always ask ourselves or others when we are swarmed by problems?

Why am I the one with the headache?
Why is it me who needs to face that stupid person?
Why do I have this disease?
Why ... me?

Remember Mattie Stepanek, the boy whom knew most of his life that he's at the edge of death and still had the desire to not only live but to be the ambassador of peace to earth? After blogging about him, I straight away went to a shopping-spree-mode. I called every bookstore and CD store to grab hold of any products that they have about him. I managed to get 4 books and 1 CD, but that's not the point.

I discovered one paragraph from his book - Just Peace (which featured former US president, Jimmy Carter) - page 21 and it says ....

"I am not looking forward to death, because I love life on earth so much. I love people and I love nature, and I love being with my mom and I love being alive, even during the times that are so tough or painful that I complain. Like anybody else, I've asked the question, "Why me?" But then I think, or pray, or talk, and realize,"Why not me? Better me than a little baby who cannot understand what is happening. Better me htan someone who already has just too much stress on his or her life." As much as I would like to not be the one living the challenges of my life, I cannot think of anyone else that I would give them to."

And yep .... he was only maximum 13 yrs old when he wrote that. He died before he reached 14. And such wise words could be uttered in his constantly deteriorating body. Amazing ... I asked one of my friend to read that paragraph, at first she read it in a not-so-serious way until the part it says "Why not me ..." and she just broke into tears at that moment.

Mattie ... Mattie ... no wonder Oprah and Jimmy Carter are just a few of your honorary friends ... you are such a great soul. It's an honour to know you and your writings even though you are no longer with us. Hope everyone of us can be like your aspiration - the ambassador of peace throughout the earth.

Thank you, Mattie.
You teach me to stop asking "why me" and start asking "why not me".
And that is a profound lesson by itself.

No comments: