Tuesday, July 13, 2010

2 SIM Cards 1 Number

As most of you might have known that I'm currently blogging from my Blackberry. It has been a wonderful experience indeed. I did mention briefly about how I'm able to also use my Nokia N97 by using 2 SIM cards with only 1 phone number. I dedicate this post to this amazing technology since one of my friend was asking.

Thanks to the M1 customer service personnel who was listening to my sad plea about how I still want to keep my Nokia and not going to abandon it, he then introduced me to the 2 SIM card option.

Basically you will only have 1 number and you are able to enjoy the goodness of 2 phones; especially iPhone and Blackberry which tend to be the most popular combination. You will then be given Primary SIM Card and Secondary SIM Card. And these are what each card can do.

Primary SIM Card
- Incoming calls: When calls come in, they will first reach the Primary card
- Receiving SMS: When SMS comes in, it will only reach the Primary card
- Outgoing Call: Able to call out
- Sending SMS: Able to text out
- Surf the internet using 3G service
- If your primary phone is a Blackberry, you will be able to use its function too

Secondary SIM Card
- Incoming calls: When calls are not being picked up on the Primary card, it will then be diverted to your Secondary card. Yes, your second phone will ring.
- Receiving SMS: You can't receive any SMS through this card
- Outgoing Call: Able to call out
- Sending SMS: Able to text out
- Surf the internet using 3G service
- If your secondary phone is a Blackberry, you will still be able to use its function too

Changing and Checking
- You may check which phone is the Primary by dialing *137#
- You may change the Primary by dialing *136# on the designated Primary phone (Yes! It's that easy!)

Charges and Fees
Depends on the service provider there are some charges involved with this service:
- 1 time fee for the SIM card (around $19)
- Monthly fee ranging from $2.50-5

Advantages
- You are able to enjoy the goodness of 2 phones while still having only 1 number
- When you run out of battery on one phone, you still have the other phone as back-up
- You don't need to tell the whole world you have new number just because you have a new phone

Disadvantages
- You need to pay for this
- When both phones have no batteries (Trust me, it happened!)

Overall, I'm just grateful this service exists. I was delusional enough to believe I'm able to use 2 phones at the same time while everyone around me thinks I was being ridiculous. Then the universe sent that helpful customer service personnel to let me know that I'm apparently not the only insane greedy phone user around. When you believe it hard enough, the answer may just be presented to you. Who knows. :)

1 comment:

Ronsen said...

ternyata sesederhana gitu toh. tadinya gue ngebayang sampe nge-hack sim card-nya. otak gue harus disetel lagi ke hal-hal yg simpel nih. thanks for the great tips, donna. :)