Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How Was "THE" French Class? - L'atelier des vins et de la gastronomie française

So ... she asked.
"Any feedback?"
"What do you think of the class?"
"Anything we can add and change?"

*Silence*

Seriously, I don't know how to answer those questions in French. Compared to most of my classmates, I am not only the youngest but the poorest with French vocabularies ever. Most of them either speak fluent French or have at least taken French course for minimum of 5 years. Me ... not even 2 years and even DARED to take a break for 1+ years. -__-"

I could understand 60-70% of the words but to respond to them, that's another realm.

"L'atelier des vins et de la gastronomie française" means French wines and food workshop. I registered myself to the class simply because there's the word WINE in it! I was even willing to pay a premium for it.

You think I'm a miser, right? Sometimes I am .... I brought my voucher to the counter and the aunty said,"you cannot use this voucher for this class ler ..." Then I replied,"Oh! Issit?" (Thinking for a few seconds and ...) "Ok lah ... I want this class.", I decided. The rest is history.

First day of the class was so intimidating! "WTF!" I was shouting so loud in my mind. Not only I was the youngest, littlest and lousiest with my speaking French! Most of them know their terroir, food, wines, Michelin chefs, map of France, .... I know RIEN (nothing)! Some can even recite the experience they have had with the Louis Vuitton of desserts, restaurants, etc .... I stared in amazement accompanied with my fit flop and chewing gum.

That was exactly 7 weeks ago :) Nothing changes, of course. I am still the youngest, smallest, and lousiest with my speaking French. I love Hokkien when combined with French and I still love to wear my FitFlops despite how horrendous the fashionista may think.

However, the invisible networks of friendships have evolved. One decision that I made 7 weeks ago has opened me up to a beautiful perspective towards world that I will never imagine I will be a witness of. Edith Piaf will say,"Je ne regrette rien (I regret nothing)."

What a wonderful classmates I have! To name a few:
  • A perfectionist baker
  • A happy and resourceful chef
  • The "nose"
  • The rescuer of the furry ones
  • The one who shields us all
  • The wine expert
  • The "enlightened" Frenchie
"What do you think of the class?"
I think, it's fantastic.

Not because of the syllabus, the materials. But the passion of the teacher and fellow students. The moments they have weaved together through sharing their stories. And ultimately, the stories they will tell when they are asked by others.

"What do you think of the class?"
I think the class is like life. You may pay an expensive price for something that you don't even know what to expect. You went in with an open mind and open heart. You have no calculative ROI (Return of Investment). And you get out with an everlasting experience. It is something that words can't decipher and money can't really comprehend.


Ultimately, I am thankful for the experience. I am thankful for the kind souls I have encountered that I will be in touch dearly (provided they feed me with food, desserts and wines!). I learn so much from all of you that I would want to learn more. I have been fortunate and honoured to be at the presence of all of you. Hope these friendships, intertwined with the love of food, wines and desserts, will form a beautiful chapters in our lives.

Merci beaucoup, tout le monde! :)


PS. Photos of all the wines have been chosen because I respect the privacy of my classmates and let them be eternalized by these bottles always! HAHA (*what a crap I am writing, man*!)

2 comments:

Sarraceniaceae (Daraness) said...

So that was the story behind fantastic bottles! Wow, you can understand French!! Woooowww, am SOOOO jealous. If I can even get where you are at, my life in wine will be so much eaiser, but French is not something I can get hands on! (I have not yet mastered English, how on earth I can start on next??)

Sorry for my absence from my blog, I am at the place where I cannot quite comprehend my thoughts into something that are readable. I shall return soon...

D.D. said...

Dee! You are so much nearer to France then me so I guess you don't need to know much about French as the language anymore! Just drive/take a train down and you are in the "ooh la la" zone! That ... I ENVY too :D

:o
Are you okay, Dee?
If only I could decipher those thoughts from afar!

Meanwhile I shall be waiting patiently for your thoughts to be readable again ... :) *hugs*