Monday, June 6, 2011

The Gift That Gives to the Givers

Two weeks ago, my friend whom I knew from one of the earlier French class I attended, invited a group of us for her 10th year anniversary. In my life, I have only heard of such event in movies but never really participated in any. I almost went to a panic mode when a dress code was announced, my wardrobe looks more suitable for going to the market than any of such big event. No wonder I never really like to go to wedding. The dress code scares me!

But she's a very special friend of mine. I call her "ma tante" (means my aunty in French). She doesn't look like any typical aunty though she may shop like one but she looks like a "hot" momma! In our group of 10 ladies who love French things (and some - like me - took it to the extreme by carrying piece of Eiffel everywhere), ma tante has always been the mother figure to everyone. She's selfless and being the Type A personality, always makes sure things are well thought and planned for.

So, when such monumental event was being announced, I seriously wonder deeply what gift would be appropriate? Clueless, really. Not to mention, she has warned a lot of times, not to give her anything as she doesn't need anything in life. Just be there and enjoy the moment. But how can that be possible!

I thought, what else could be better than to find a gift that gives more. So I asked her, will it be okay if I donate to a charity of her choice. She was very supportive to the idea and asked me to check out www.ForJuliana.org, the fiance of one of the most touching story on American Idol 2011 contestant, Chris Medina. If you haven't heard about him, please do. Check out the following videos:
- American Idol audition
- His single "What Are Words"

In short, Chris and Juliana were supposed to get married but a tragic car accident wrecked their dreams away just 2 months prior to the wedding. However, he chose to stay by her side and mentioned these few precious words that has become the inspiration of his single - “What kind of guy would I be if I walked out when she needed me the most.”

Once hearing my plan, the rest of Les Frenchies girls were on board with me and together we donated through Laurus Foundation and everyone was delighted. Secretly though, I was not that satisfied. Ma tante deserves more than this, I thought. So, I bombarded the email of the Executive Director of the Foundation, Chris Medina's FB and Chris Medina's official website. When you ask, you do receive.

The morning of the event, I received the most wonderful email from Juliana's mom - Janet, who told me that Chris thought it would be more personal to handwrite a letter to ma tante. Thanks to my friend's office printer too, we managed to pull things through and the result is as seen below.


As much as one may see it is a touching and thoughtful gift. But to me personally, the whole experience, has given me the most meaning. Sure, the destination was worth it :) but the journey to get there, the kind souls who have taken the extra miles in making sure ma tante was surprised = Priceless.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the following kind souls with the equal order of importance and significance:
  • Jim Dolan, the Executive Director of Laurus Foundation - Thanks for passing the message to Chris. I hope your foundation will be able to reach the goal to help Juliana.
  • Janet, Juliana's mom - Thanks for taking the time to write to me and making sure it pulls through not only in time but in such a beautiful manner. Wish Juliana a steady recovery. With so much love and prayers from all over the world, it is just about the timing, Juliana will be okay again :)
  • Chris Medina - Thanks for taking the time to send us the handwritten letter. You are indeed a rare soul who chose to stand by your partner in times of need. Your story will be an inspiration to many people. Wish you all the best in your singing career.
  • Ma tante - For being such a loving figure. Your selflessness is something that is so rare that not only your family is lucky to have you but we are so privileged to have known you.
  • M.Y. - For taking the risk to go back to her office to get the letter printed.
  • Les Frenchies - For supporting me in this idea and put Singapore on the map in supporting Juliana :) You girls are DIAMONDS! (They love their blings too much ...)
  • The Emcee of the night - For the beautiful suggestion and convincing me to read it out to ma tante as if Chris was there reading it to her. Though I need lots of drinks before that, but it was a once in a lifetime moment and it was an honour.
  • Oprah - *WHAT* Haha ... well, so that I'm able to say these words. "So this is how Oprah feels." Through her shows, the most meaningful moment was when people were touched not by the material things but by gifts with thoughts and meaning. This is truly an A-HA moment for me.
  • Unseen forces of life - For giving me the instinct and inspiration to something that is so meaningful. For bringing me to the people that can make all these happen.
  • My readers - Thank you for still reading up to this point. :) Your silent attention has been one of the driving force for me to stay creative in all areas of my life.
I have learned through this experience that the true gift in life is not only the joy we see in the eyes of the recipients but also the fulfilling effect to the giver. Giving is the gift that gives to the givers. Hope you will be compelled to give in whatever ways you choose to.

If you would like to support Juliana Recovery Fund, you may do so with the widget at the end of this post. Thank you so much for your time and attention.













2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna..

Love you and thank you...

Ton Tante..

Anonymous said...

:) a lesson wel learned, thank you.