Sunday, May 22, 2011

What Kind of Relationship Do You Have With Money?

Silly question, you must think. Because before this weekend, I have never thought that I am having a relationship with money. Eh wait, not true. I did hear this phrase before, from my "momma" Oprah. She didn't pose the question but she briefly mentioned in one of her show that from the early age, she has always had a good relationship with money.

That sentence stuck on my head with more questions for almost a week. What does she mean by that? Do I have a good relationship with money?

Then, on Friday, one of the speaker from National Achievers Congress 2011 in Singapore - Kerwin Rae, a joint venture expert who loves to sky dive nude; posed this question - what kind of relationship do you have with money? Do you talk to your money? Do you tell your money about your goals and dreams? I seriously thought he had lost it or I have lost my mind to not understand him.

He continued by giving me one of the best analogy that to this date is a profound realization. He said imagine money is your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend or even your best friend. As money is just a thing and by nature it is abundant and available, it has a positive vibe.

If you have the negative vibe by always being needy, always wanting the attention from money, always think money is "lacking"; soon or later, just like any relationships between human beings, one of them will leave as they can't stand the insecurity that the partner exudes.

I tried my best to depict the analogy with a doodle but I think I did a horrible job but still decide to show it off anyway. :p



Now, I understand better what Oprah was saying. She has never come from the place of lack, as her conviction is strong with The One who provides, she has never worried. As for Kerwin Rae, he has lost all his money 2x in his life but each time he bounced back, he had more than before. Not sure if believes in higher power or not but in my observation it is because he knows he can always get more money by doing more joint ventures and cutting some deals. He just needed to make sure he kept on learning and not to fall back to his previous mistake.

The theory sounds easy indeed. One needs to come from a place of abundance in order to be abundant. But in practice, like any relationships, it takes time. Being aware that one needs to change is a huge step to begin with. Next, is to move forward and be committed to the change. If it works out, the relationship will flourish and create a win-win situation. If it doesn't, the relationship falls apart and some may end up with ugly break-ups/divorces. Or, if one chooses to not have any relationship at all with money, nothing is wrong with that too. Life is after all filled with a series of choices after another.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

curiousmm said...

chim but make sense. kinda of true in some ways....am i needy for MONEY? hmmmm....peut-etre

D.D. said...

Hi MM

Haha! Didn't know you have a blogger profile too! :D I also still can't figure out what kind of relationship do I have with money. But for sure it's not really a fantastic one yet and things need to be transformed. If not will have a painful break-up hehe

Archie said...

You would then be keen with the ideas and concepts of a rather controversial fella Randy Gage.
http://www.randygage.com/blog/