Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Belle du Berry & David Lewis in Singapore

Alliance Francaise de Singapour was proud to present French Groove event and one of the memorable guest who closed the series was A Concert by Belle du Berry & David Lewis (Saturday, 14 May 2011 - @ 7.30PM) presenting most songs from the album, Quizz. I am truly honoured to be part of that experience. Thanks to my ex-French classmate who is always in the know of interesting things, I was present for one of the most enlightening experience in my life.

When I found out about them, I did a little bit of homework before the concert by visiting their youtube videos. But seriously, none of the videos did justice to the real experience of simply being there and be lost with the experience. Though most of the time I have trouble understanding the lyrics (I bet they are great too), but the music and the musicians did my confusion justice. I was automatically transported to an imaginary land where everything is cryptic and hypnotic.


Belle du Berry - singer, song writer and also accordion player, has proven that she has more talent than just those 3 areas. She has her charm or some kind of "law of attraction" to make audience who has been 99% of the time glued to their seats, stood up and danced to the beat at the very last song. She didn't give up on that idea throughout the concert and she nailed it. She got what she wished for.

As you can see in the photo below, my view was blocked by the dancing crowd.


David Lewis - plays the trumpet and piano (sometimes both at the same time). I don't need to elaborate more on his talent. He does know how to maximize the value of his trumpet by combining method that is not traditionally seen. Here, he dipped the trumpet into a bowl of water to create an eerie and mysterious sound that can only be imagined if you are alone in the dark and watching some old detectives' movies.

There are indeed differences between artists who create and perform from their souls and those who are out there for commercial reasons. The experience they create will linger on. I did wish I was able to have the entire concert be played again. Unfortunately, such unique performance, there's no DVD available. Even CD won't do justice to it. It's the moment and the experience that count. Just like life.


No comments: