Monday, October 22, 2012

My "Diving" Experience

The first time I saw this image from my friend's Facebook page (I think it was 5th of August 2012), I told myself,"Huah! I want to do that too. I want to dive with the sharks!" Shortly after, I registered and confirmed my trip just like that. 


2.5 months later, I passed my theory test and finally on the 19th of October made my way to Tioman, Malaysia for the rest of the practical training. It was pouring cats and dogs on the first day of my training, but that didn't bother me. We were all going to get wet anyway.

When I was putting on my wet suit... ho boy, I didn't like it at all. I was thinking to myself. This is one troublesome activity ever. I had to wear a full body suit as they didn't have any other in my size. After which, we had to carry all the gears and went into the pool for the first pool training. We were made to swim 20 laps in that wet suit. I thought - the pool is so small, this is going to be easy. But it was not - I was so quickly out of breath due to the weight of the wet suit and super choppy pool water. Urgh. 

We continued with other exercises, they were fine until we had to clear the mask full of water under the water. That was when I simply lost it. I couldn't get used to not being able to use my eyes and nose at the same time. I totally hate the feeling of it. Maybe it's because I have never swum without goggles since 9yo. I simply couldn't swim with eyes opened or closed under water. Just not natural for me. Towards the end of the day, I was also shivering like mad. So cold! The full body suit didn't protect me at all too. I seriously kept asking myself, why on earth did I sign up for this? Geez! So, yeah, I threw in the towel. I called it quit the next day. I simply knew diving is simply not for me despite how many people told me "Oh, you are so going to love it." They are all wrong. I don't love it. It was one of the easiest decision I've ever made in my life. No regrets at all.

While my dive mates were training in the pool, I spent an amazing time on the beach from +/- 1 to 8PM. One of the longest ever for me to do so. Yeah, I got burnt alright. But I also saw "Nemo" when playing around in the beach. I fed the fish and they all swam around me. I had so much fun and geez, I didn't even need to breathe in and breathe out unnaturally from the gas tank! I breathed the air that The Universe has supplied to me for free. Fresh!
  
The rocks that mesmerized me the first time I saw them.



I realize there and then that:
  1. What you think is cool for others, doesn't mean it's cool for you.
  2. Sometimes, you really do need to try things out to decide if it's for you or not. 
  3. As long as you are not having fun, don't bother doing it. Don't waste time. (Of course, some works need to be done whether it's fun or not fun.)
  4. You don't need to prove yourself to anyone. If you don't like it, quit it. Time is more precious than your pride.
I bet the underwater world must be amazing. Look at the image above with the sharks, splendid and magnificent. I believe my inability to scuba dive means I may have missed out on many amazing sea creatures. But I find diving deeper into other realms above sea level is as fulfilling too. People to be understood. Lessons to be learned. Sunsets to be admired. Miracles to be recognized.

I love my "dive" in the here and now and every moment I am still discovering much more than I could imagine. I say bye to the underwater world while maintaining my "buoyancy" on earth, to discover more "little wonders" to be shared with you. I leave the sea to the people who truly are having fun in it instead. So yeah, I'm D.D. and I chickened out from the diving course. I'm proud of it and love myself for it.
“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh
Image courtesy of someone else. I stole it with permission but without approval yet. But should be okay lah...!

 

1 comment:

Matt said...

Well, at least you gave it a try. In a lot of places - here included - that means a whole lot.