Wednesday, April 25, 2007

People Are Selfish

You must be thinking ... what the hell ... this woman has been missing in action for so long and now the title of her first post is people are selfish? Has she just returned from the brink of depression or what?

Haha ... don't worry. I'm fine. :-) I just want to say things that I've been wanting to say for so long, which is the title of this post. I don't mean selfish in a bad way but I can't find what other words to describe people. You may agree or disagree with me. I'm not here to debate. I'm just writing my point of view.

Why do I say that? Because the more I see things ... even the most generous of things in this world, beneath all those are just a hidden motive to make oneself happy / sad / whatever emotion that being chooses at that moment.

Like when you think someone does something nice to you, you think that person is so selfless. But is he/she? Look underneath those, as he/she gives, he/she obtains happiness too. He/she wants to do it in order to fulfill his/her gap of happiness inside the heart. Got what I mean?

Yeah, selfish has one of the most negative connotation I can ever think of. I don't like it that the word means so negatively that it may be just the fundamental character of human being. Nothing bad about it. To put it in a different light, let's simply put, every one secretly is putting themselves first among others. It's not bad either. Because making sure you are okay (as long as you are not harming others), is just the first step of loving yourself. Guess the selfishness I'm trying to point out here is self-love. Hhmmm ...

I'm not writing this to attack anyone who's giving and call them selfish ... I just want to point out that it's just how human is. Don't expect them to be something else because it's a survival skill and gene that we, human beings, have inherited since we were born. And stop being naive that when people are sacrificing something, they are so great and great ... they are just being them ... putting themselves for their own benefits that you may not be able to comprehend. It's just fact of life and nothing bad about it. It is just it is.

No comments: