Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Old Fashioned Way

Every year, without fail, the Mouth & Foot Painting Artists Pte Ltd (which is directly link to AMFPA - Association of Mouth and Foot Painting Artists of the World.) will send a pack of cards to me. It's a charity organization which supports artists who are so talented that they are able to paint with their mouth or foot. (I can't even paint properly with my hand!!!)

Anyway, I've seen this card since I was really young. My dad always received it and never once he rejected it. Guess I pick on the habit from him. What this organization do is they'll send you a pack of cards (or sometimes some other products such as bookmarks, etc). They'll enclose a return envelope to you in case you are interested in the cards and would like to buy from them, you may send your cheque to them. If you are not interested in paying, you may choose to return the whole pack of cards or you can keep the cards and be guilty forever? :p The choice is up to you.

Well, since my family already has this tradition, I'm continuing on. I remember it was not that difficult to send out cards to people back then. I was probably in my 14-17 years of age. I may or may not need stamps but I'll definitely finish all the cards given. And during Christmas or Chinese New Year or Valentine's Day, I'll buy even more cards to be sent out.

Now, I have 2 packs of cards. (One from last year) And I realized, I've not been writing at all. How sad. I found writing cards are not as easy as it used to be anymore. 50 was an easy number then but now I can hardly think of 10! Partly most of the people are contactable by emails (and I seriously don't have their mailing addresss), but mostly, I don't know what has happened. Is the technology taking over the personal warmth and message that we are all capable of? May be. You can't rule that out just yet.

Out of the 13 cards I have at the moment, I managed to send out 4. 1 being my mom's birthday card, 1 for my Chinese tutor whom I never failed to write every year, 1 to my friend who's going to have her birthday in July (happened to have her mailing address, thank God), and lastly to my friend's (who's like 10 yrs older than me) mom whom suddenly crossed my mind, and yes, thank God I asked for her address from my friend before. I hope it'll be a nice surprise to her. The last time I saw her was in 2006 when I went back to Jakarta for a family reunion during Chinese New Year. At that time, I think I've not seen her for more than 15 years, easily. And when we both saw each other for the first time, don't know why, we both just shed tears. I seriously can't explain why. I saw her old and frail body. It's so different from what I saw when I was a little girl, playing around in her backyard with her dog and birds. How time passes and how I wish I could spend much more time talking to her. (Tearing as I'm typing this .. hmm time to add "cry baby" to the 500 list now).

Anyway, what am I blabbering?
Oh ya .. card-writing ...
There's something about the old fashioned way of getting in touch of people that is so heartwarming. Though it has so many steps in it (buy the card, write the card, seal the envelope, buy the stamp, paste the stamp and send the card) but somehow, the old way is much more meaningful. Though one day this trade may totally be wiped off, but it can't wipe away that special feeling one has when received a card that can be touched and filled with personal handwritten message in it.

Hope you'll consider writing cards once again to those special someone who've touched your life or simply passed by your life and made an imprint.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I have to burst your bubble.
AMFPA is not a charity by any standard. It's a billion dollar world wide business structure that employs less than 700 handicapped artists in total. Less than 100 can live off the money they receive.
A lot of the huge surplus secretly flows to lawyers in Liechtenstein and mailbox companies in Panama. Check the Wikipedia article.
Merry Christmas!
How about using UNICEF cards instead?

Anonymous said...

oh no .. i didn't know know that
how do i use unicef card then? r they available in sg?

Anonymous said...

I know... It's sad that anyone would stoop that low.
I think you can get them via unicef.org under your country's pages. Probably other real charities have them too, I'm not sure.

D.D. said...

Thanks a lot for sharing :-)
Read about it in Wikipedia n was very shocked. I'll check unicef out. Thx :)