Saturday, July 9, 2011

Donna, What About Your Purpose in Life?

Recently, I posted something stupid on my facebook? Eh hold on -_-" I posted my previous blog post on my facebook. That's not too silly, isn't it? Anyway, I posted it and a friend of mine who had a great memory of my "silly questions" asked me,"What about your purpose in life?"

I used to "irritate" most of my close friends with the question - What is your purpose in life? If money is not a problem, what would you do? They will give me a stare, pondered a little then answer. This friend of mine, however, was in a same boat as me. We are both still searching, I guess. The conversation went something like this:

DD: What is your purpose in life?
My funny friend: Don't know yet.
(Few days later)
My funny friend: I know how you can know your purpose in life already.
DD: Really? How?
My funny friend: Google it!
DD: -_____________________________​_____-"

Though I almost fell of my chair when I read that, I did google it! Haha. I found Steve Pavlina's article is insightful as usual. I didn't read it. But the tab has always been open on my browser ever since and I continued living my life.

Can't believe one month has passed since then and apparently, I have not been losing sleep thinking about my purpose in life. I was too busy living my life. Literally. (Though some of my close friends don't agree with this statement.)

Believe it or not, I have one of the best 1 month ever. I have many new friends, many new experiences, connected with many old friends and even went to Beer Fest with one though we haven't met since university time, signed up to a new course, loving French even more, etc. For the first time I remember how it feels to truly live and breathe again. 90% of my breathing and non-sleeping moment, I feel alive. I feel grateful and blessed in every way.

Did anything change? Hmm ... not really but if I have to pinpoint on two things:
- I am more grateful with what I have
- I keep asking questions even though answers may not come immediately

You see, I still don't know what my purpose in life. And shitty events still pop out of no where. At times I could just flaunt my "French" in Hokkien that I didn't even accompany it with
"pardon my _______" to end the sentence. But one of the question I used to ask, I know how to answer it now. That feels really good. That makes a difference.

Question:
If money is not a problem, what would you do?

Answer:
If money is in abundance, I will spend as much quality time as possible with my friends. As I am someone who loves 1-to-1 interaction with people, that's when the quality of the conversation heightened, I will meet 2-3 different people a day and have a super quality time with them. I will travel if I need to and do this 5x a week. The last 2 days of the way, I reserve it for myself and my family.

I will learn from my friends and listen attentively as each words they say may be the next wisdom yet to be discovered. But I do have friends that function well as a group, we will go to a country of our dream and simply have a great "bitching with quality" time.

If money is not a problem, I would really love to visit the following countries on a regular basis just because my friends who live there easily triumph all the monuments that has ever been built.
- USA
- France
- Germany
- Belgium
- Switzerland
- UK
- Australia
- Canada
- Indonesia
- Malaysia
- China
- Hong Kong

However, back to my friend's question - Donna,
What about your purpose in life?
My answer to her was,"Still googling."

When I know it, my friend, my mouth that moves like that of goldfish, will definitely tell you about it. Meanwhile, I am going to choose to breathe as one wise man used to say:

"Choose to inhale; do not breathe simply to exist. That's not always easy but it is always worthy." - Final sentences of Mattie Stepanek on his dying bed.

Image courtesy of my own album taken in Toulouse, France 24th December 2008

2 comments:

Christine Tjia said...

Another well written piece of article, luv it! :)

Erick March said...

since this is an ultimate question then the answer is 42! yay!