Friday, July 22, 2011

Have You Seen Blue Rice Before?

Look at it.
It's so beautiful, isn't it?
Well to some, it may be a scary sight.
Blue/purplish rice?
Hell yeah!
It smells of lemon grass too.
Heavenly!

Don't ask me what it's made of but I know for sure it's all natural :)


It was supposed to be a business meeting but it turned out to be one of the best, authentic and non-MSG-ish peranakan food I have ever tasted. Plus a few life lessons shared. The whole experience was simply awesome.

The owner, Mr. Philip Khoo, is one of the rare passionate man I've ever seen. Passionate about his food, his culture, his heritage, his history, his recipes, his customers and his life. He lives with total and utmost passion. I have never really seen someone who is like him, except on TV or movies. He really breathes, lives and speaks Peranakan.

I love his sharing of each and every dish where each and every ingredients seem to play a very important part. I love his story on the very rich Peranakan culture, being and living as one, his mission in life is really to make sure the Peranakan food will not be forgotten and will be accessible to everyone. He said, Peranakan is not as subtle as French food, may be because their taste buds are numb (jokingly). Hence, Peranakan food is so rich and full of flavour that when you eat it, you simply can't miss the richness in its culture.

One of the most memorable story he shared is about 2 types of wealthy customers:
1. The one who are comfortable being who they are
2. The one who are not and whose egos demand for every attention they can get

Type 1, surprisingly he said, can be one of the best customer ever. Even if they have constructive criticism, they will try to let you know in a sensitive manner that will not hurt your feeling. Then when they reveal who they are, you will be shocked to death that they either hold a very high position in a company. Or the owner of some super famous establishments.

Type 2, however, to prove that they have all the power, to shout for attention, validation and acknowledgment; will make the biggest noise when something is not right. They are trying to match how they act with what they drive sometimes. "See, I am the boss. I drive a BMW. Treat me like a boss."

Being comfortable with who we are and not attached to any titles, material possessions, status, are not something that is easy to do especially in this ego-driven world. His sharing really reminded me of a phrase in Bahasa Indonesia:

"Seperti buah padi, makin berisi, makin berunduk."
Just like grains of rice, the more full they are, the lower they will bow.
Be humble.

Being a 1/4 Peranakan myself (I think! My grandma told me. So, I will take it that I have a little bittttttt of the Peranakan blood), I feel honoured to be in the presence of Mr. Khoo. Really hope his mission in life can be realized.

If you have the chance, and you love the robust and vibrant flavours in each and every ingredient, try the Peranakan food at address below. I swear I will be there again. :)

Baba King Nonya Deli
@ Changi Business Park
1 Changi Business Park Crescent
#01-22 Plaza 8
Singapore 486025

Tel. (65) 6587 3128
Website. www.BabaKing.com.sg

4 comments:

dora said...

Alright, you're taking me there in Nov. ;)

Sarraceniaceae (Daraness) said...

That reminded me of Bridget Jones's blue soup!

Thanks for the wonderful story. Wish I can meet the man of passion myself!

D.D. said...

@Dora:
Your wish is my command. The blue rice is not available daily apparently. We went there last Saturday and they didn't have it! So, I will try to make special request for ya!

@Dee:
Blue soup! HAHA! Wonder if there's blue wine. Hmm ....
Of course you can meet a man you deserve. Believe it! :D

best bars to host Corporate Gatherings Singapore said...

Excellent blog you have here.. It is onerous to search out high-quality writing like yours these days. I really respect folks like you! Take care!!