Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Curious Case of NTU Singapore

Have you heard about the news that have been really hot in Singapore? Well, the university that I graduated from has apparently been in the limelight recently, for the wrong reasons. Dead bodies and blood are involved in Nanyang Technological University (NTU).

For the news, lookie here: http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_347185.html

It was said according to the news source that 1st incident, an Indonesian Chinese student has stabbed a professor and then committed suicide. That happened on a Monday. Then, during the same week, on Saturday, a Chinese project officer has found hung.

2 dead bodies in less than a week. Wow ... Is the recession so bad and gloomy that everybody feels so stressed and simply needs to end their lives to feel better? And is it really a coincidence that both of them were from the same faculty - the School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering? Ah ... not forgetting a fact that both of them are also working in the same lab - S2-B3a-06. Ah ... yes, don't forget, people who are like the Indonesian student (a scholar who even represented the country for some Maths competition) and the Chinese project officer (who landed a job in NTU which was supposedly not as easy to get in as to work in McDonalds) must have some kind of brilliance especially in the academic arena. They were engineering trained, who were supposed to be pretty logical and "thought-things-through" before experimenting with anything, and these are the outcomes for their lives? And both in the same week?

I don't know how to feel about this news. But the news has definitely stirred certain mood in me when I first read it. I must admit that I must have pointed finger into the direction that media wanted me to believe. The media is a powerful too indeed. How can one forget that? Fortunately, God created this thing called "BRAIN". And some of those who remembered to utilize it, started to ask questions and feel something was fishy and then I was awakened.

I am definitely not in any position to comment about this case. I am no CSI and even if I am one, I have no access to the evidences and witnesses and whatever things that CSI needs in solving a case. So, I'm not here to argue, what's right, what's wrong, what should have been done, etc. I am also not here to dissect this situation as I am in no place to shine any lights to the case. I really hope the truth will prevail but even though if it's not, Miss Karma will take action in its own hand and in its own time.

But what I would like to point out in this era where we are so heavily spoon-fed by what we read, heard and seen, have we forgotten how to think for ourselves? Are we really that mentally lazy? Unfortunately, we are. I know I am. But through the curious case of NTU Singapore, this time, I really hope we'll be more awakened. To be reminded that we are born with a brain that hardly being utilized fully on things that REALLY matter. Life is hardly so straightforward, it needs a little bit of "detective" works and seriously, I am not just talking about this NTU case but about our own lives. I know I'm in the midst of a very big important and puzzling case of my own and I'm going to get my detective hat, coat and magnifying glass in order to find some clues about my own life. I hope you do too. Life is a mystery indeed, solve as much as you can and don't forget, we have a brain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sad to think that the world has really stooped so low, yet what you say is the truth, Donna. We are mentally lazy and while I encourage you to keep reminding the world to do something about it and not just base their ideas on the thoughts of others without fully exploring the options on their own...

It is the greatest price we've paid for civilization and the modern advancements in science-- each day people work hard to discover ways of making things easy for the future generations... and that in itself discourages a high mental activity... soon, we forget how to even think about the little things and just feed off whatever is thrown our way.

Sad

Anonymous said...

Your title reminded me of the curious case of benjamin button.
I thank god I wasn't attached to NTU. It is way too much drama for a kaypoh aunty to handle.

D.D. said...

Guy:
Yes. You are so right. And I'm so afraid I'll fall into that pit too. I really need to my mind reminded all the time too. Thanks for dropping by

Aunty:
Ya! Now I pull back my word. Lucky you don't go to NTU haha ... adoi I still owe you a lunch meeting and date with my photos! I better choose the photos if not you'll be bored to death looking at them! And yes, I actually "inspired" by the benjamin button's title lor haha