Thursday, November 3, 2011

Full Circle Moment & What Would You Do If You Have 3 Days and 3 Nights in Singapore?

Life has its funny way of unfolding itself. In December 2008, I was planning a trip to Europe in 3 weeks (including 2 weeks of Visa application with lots of hope and prayers). It was all planned last minute and I seriously didn't know what to do as I am simply not an average traveler.

Luckily, I was active in Plurk and just by posting it amongst the European plurkers, one very nice French lady responded and rescued me from being deserted in Bordeaux all alone during Christmas. She invited me to be with her family in Toulouse and to spend Christmas together. 2 strangers who hardly chatted online but crazy enough to say "YES" to the experience. The rest is history and I blogged about how much I missed Paris and how I will be confident to converse with French kids! To accompany that, 1 couple from Geneva (Swiss) welcomed me to their humble home with fantastic cheese and coffee, then 1 artistic kind soul from Liège (Belgium) showered me with great food and great booze for New Year's Eve party!

Time has passed and it's now November 2011, 3 years have passed just like that! The full circle moment has arrived for one of my saviour. This time, I am able to play host to my French friend! The one who was crazy enough to invite one stranger from Asia, finally came to Singapore! It's her first trip to Asia and she made sure she would stop by Singapore. (She demanded that to the travel agent). She has 3 days and 3 nights in Little Red Dot and I am glad she maximized it to the max.

So what did my friends manage to do in such a short period of time?

Day 1
Places she attacked:
- Botanic Garden
- Tanglin Mall for lunch
- Orchard Road
- Little India
- Chinatown
- Lao Pa Sat for dinner
- Customs House for drinks

Bear in mind she walks from Orchard to Little India in a rainy day. Pretty impressive, I should say.

Food and drinks she conquered:
- Char kway teow
- Satay (chicken and beef) + Rice
- Oyster omelet
- Prata
- Tiger beer
- Ume

Day 2
Places she attacked:
- Holland Village
- Wet market (woke up too late, so it did look like dry market instead)
- Hawker center
- Arab Street
- Peranakan Museum
- Raffles City
- Raffles Hotel
- Suntec City
- Esplanade
- Merlion
- Fullerton Hotel
- Colonial District
- National Museum
- Plaza Singapura
- Newton Circus

Food and drinks she conquered:
- Chicken rice
- Nasi lemak
- Grass jelly drink
- Ice teh limau (Ice lime tea)
- Kue lupis
- Breadtalk's chicken floss
- Yakun's kaya toast, half boiled egg, kopi-o and teh-o
- Stingray
- Rojak
- Hokkien Mee
- Soursop juice

Day 3
Places she attacked:
- Singapore zoo
- Orchard road again as the weather didn't permit her to go to Sentosa (*pout*) and ended up she made Steve Jobs happy. *ehem*
- Clarke Quay
- Geylang

Food and drinks she conquered:
- Starbucks coffee that put her to sleep (oops, I'm not sure on this :p I am just imagining)
- Chili crab
- Mantou
- Turkish ice cream
- Durian

Overall, I think she has done a great job. She conquered a lot and experienced the main attractions of Singapore. What more, she has a very "authentic" Singaporean guide too besides the "fake-made-in-Indonesia" one. I hope she enjoyed her stay with my passable planning and guiding and story telling ... or more like blabbering. I am glad she enjoyed durian with its stench still lingers on our fingers as I am typing this. I am glad I am able to return the favour that her family and she have done to me in 2008. I hope one day her family too will come and let me have the privilege to show them how awesome Singapore can be (in the rain). I hope my other Internet friends who have shown me how great people are just few clicks away, will be here too one day. I am so grateful for this full circle moment that keeps expanding in its own amazing way.

Life becomes more awesome when one is able to share a piece of themselves with others.



17 December 2008 - First photo taken after our dinner on the first night I arrived in Paris

31 October 2011 - First photo taken after our dinner on her first night in Singapore
(Image courtesy of my friend's FB. Approval is pending as she's busy with her novel at the moment of this blogging)

4 comments:

Singapore to Malacca said...

This is the good news.The information you provide is very useful for me.Thank you for sharing it.I will come to see if you have new post every day.

D.D. said...

Thank you very much for dropping by.

car for rent singapore said...

I truly love your site.. Great colors & theme. Did you develop this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m planning to create my own site and would like to learn where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Appreciate it!

Book Hotel Online said...

I appreciated what we did here. I enjoyed every little bit some of it. I am always trying to find informative information this way. Thanks for sharing around.