Friday, November 11, 2011

Tim Ferriss

Have you heard of Tim Ferriss?

I believe some of you do. I first heard of him from my friend, Stuart Tan, who was reading Tim's best selling book - The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich. I went to buy the book, unfortunately, I didn't finish it. :p



Then, I didn't recall who he is until my friend shared an awesome post from his blog that's titled 8 Steps to Getting What You Want Without Formal Credentials. I believe everyone should read that post at least once. You may or may not agree with what he said, but I would say 80% of what he said makes sense.

Basically, in this blog post, he shared about an alternative way to combat our own laziness into thinking just because we do not have a degree in certain subject, doesn't mean we can't be a master of some sorts. He also shared about how people tend to find jobs through informal job market than formal job market and in order to do that you need to start build your credential from somewhere.

His 8 steps, which he covered really in details basically comprises of - choose something you want to learn, document/share your journey of learning, start applying what you have learned through networking and offering to work for free, find mentors, learn sales and ultimately you will be independent enough to sell and deliver your knowledge/skill to the people that you have come to know along the way.

No more excuse for saying, "but I can't do this or I can't do that" because everything is indeed learn-able. Unfortunately, even after reading this article, I still can't help but have so much angst towards Excel and Vlookup from 8 different charts. -__-"

Guess the next skill I should be learning is to meditate and calm my mind or how to be peaceful with too many excel charts. We'll see.


Oh ya, before I forget, do check out his bio page. What he has tried and what he is doing now is simply amazing. Truly, your mind and how you choose to spend your time are your only limits.

No comments: