Monday, February 5, 2007

Jacqui Saburido

I believe some of you must have seen these few images through some forwarded emails. I have too but ... watching her spoke in Oprah, has created different experience and left an imprint that will be with me to the graveyard. (If I decide to be buried, that is :p)

Look at these images, they are of the same person ... can you believe it?


Images courtesy of http://health.discovery.com

Who is she?

She is Jacqui Saburido. Pretty, isn't she? So, why did she become the next image? Are you sure it's not just a mask?

Nope! It's real. I watch it on OPRAH!!!! It pinched my heart so much to see the disaster that has occurred to her. It's like ... why her? What has she done wrong???

As you can see from her main website - www.helpjacqui.com, she was taking a break from college and decided to come to USA from Venezuela to study English (she spoke fine English now, BTW), then everything changes when a drunk driver crashed into the car she was in on the 19th of September 1999.

When the police found her, she was on fire and her body was 60% burned. No one ever thought she'll survive. One of the policeman actually hoped that God will just end her suffering there and then as she was wailing in pain beyond human voices. But, I think the
One above has totally different plan for her.

Do you think her suffering ended there? Haiz ... how I wish ... seriously :( .... But since then she has undergone more than 50 operations and there are more to come. And it is not only financially, physically painfully but also mentally and emotionally. Even changing her clothes in the morning (activity we tend to take for granted), is like a war for her to fight.

Now, I've said enough about her suffering and her anguished. She's lost her face completely beyond recognition and even lost some of her simple dreams like getting married and have normal life. Do you realize I've not talked about the driver who's caused this unto her? Well, Reggie Stephey was a high school student then with promising future ahead and now serving jail terms of 7 years and fined $20,000 (what a small price to pay, right?).

So, what's the lesson we need to learn here? It's very obvious that we shouldn't drive when you are intoxicated with alcohol. NO!!! It's not just your life, selfish soul, it's others too! But ... there's greater lesson for me to be drawn from Jacqui.

In Oprah show, while she was being interviewed, for the first time after so many years, Jacqui met Reggie's mother. Let me tell you ... Reggie's mom could hardly say any word. She herself was so devastated and she told Oprah,"I don't think I can do this." And Oprah kept saying,"You can do this." for quite a few times. What's amazing was Jacqui stood up, with her totally deformed hands and arms, she hugged Reggie's mom and said,"It's okay. It's okay." Oh my ............................ As I'm typing this my heart can just cringe thinking about her act of selflessness and utmost forgiveness towards what's most of us deem as misfortune, she took the simple act and showed compassion towards the person whom most of us think should be mocked.

So, who's Jacqui Saburido?

She's an angel without wings. Period.

I hope when you think that your life sucks, think about being totally immersed in the fire in pain, think about losing one of your eyes, your skin, your face, and everything that you used to identify it as yourself, think about losing the dreams you've once had, think about the struggle you need to go through the simple things in life that you used to take for granted ... think about Jacqui Saburido and be grateful of what life has offered you so far and reach out to those who may be the next victim or next Reggie ...

And don't forget .... to remember the message below .... because this world has never been created just for you alone.


Image courtesy of www.helpjacqui.com

Thank you my friend for giving me the greatest gift of all. :-) You've given me so much more inspiration to blog! :-) Thank you ....

Updates:
Oh mi gosh .... I found her videos on Youtube!!! Please get her message, folks!


Don't Drink and Drive Campaign.


Reggie's Comments


Jacqui said thanks ...


No comments: