Friday, August 8, 2008

Beijing Olympic - 080808

What an eventful day, the 080808.

To us Chinese, it's a very auspicious day as we love number 8 for luck, prosperity, wealth or simply good fortune. The fact that China managed to secure today as the day they host Olympic game still awes me. Despite the negativity and threats they have faced, the show must still go on. And I'm glad they pulled through the opening ceremony part. I hope everything goes well till the end. All the best, China.

As I'm sitting here twisting my head once in a while as the opening ceremony is still going on, I can't help but be amazed with the shows they have put up in the beginning. Though I've missed quite a lot of it but I was so amazed with the preparations and the "dome" itself was spectacular. It's called the bird's nest? (Erm, I think) at night it just looks so magical. Seriously magical ... like I was being transported to another realm. It seems like that building has been there for the longest time.

And now, I'm enjoying all the countries parading their flags, costumes, pretty faces, athletes (who were busy taking photos or video taping the audiences), leaders of their countries, etc, I can't help but cheering on my own when my country showed up - Indonesia! I went WOO HOO and WAA HAA over them. And now I'm waiting for 2 more countries: China and Singapore. I love this crazy experience and I'm glad nobody is at home at the moment to witness this horrendous action of mine. :p

(120 teams have paraded and 85 to go as I am typing ... Crazyyyyy)

Seriously, this is the time I'm so proud to be Chinese. Well, I'm proud of my heritage all the time, every breath I take, but today, especially, I am prouder than usual. I am proud to be part of the big family of China or even though I am not holding Chinese passport but I feel blessed my ancestors have come from such a great country. How they ended up in Indonesia (and now I am in Singapore), is still a mystery. We may have our flaws, which country is perfect anyway, but I am dedicating my respect to all things Chinese today. It has given birth to Tao, Yin Yang, Feng Shui, compass, paper, Tai Chi, Qigong, cheap things (erm...), chinese cuisine, the language of hokkien, cantonese, hakka, teowchew, etc. Countless countless thing that as a Chinese myself, won't be able to grasp in just one lifetime.

Enough of my pride of being Chinese, I'd also like to address how I love it when in an event like Olympic opening ceremony, you'll see so many diversities and yet you have the feeling of unity. And the theme song which was sung by Sarah Brightman and Liu Huan managed to capture the essence of this event. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact lyrics but it's about how by just being in the same planet/world, we are already one family.

I hope on this auspicious date of the year, everyone will be filled with good luck and fortune. Let us appreciate our diversities and path a better way to unity.

May everyone have a little bit of Olympic spirit in this wonderful time of the year.


No comments: