Monday, September 29, 2008

So, What Do You See?

Recently I have too many wake-up calls through unexpected sources. TV shows, newsletter, stupid activities, etc. Most of the words of wisdom I've posted at my quotes blog, including this following quote that I'm going to share with you.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for. --John Lubbock


Simple words, aren't they? But ponder deeply upon them. They are too profound and too true. And its simplicity has been taken for granted by so many and in this following context, by me.

I think this particular quote should be on everyone's head all the time. It should be a great reminder to our breathing moments to focus on what we want to look for.

Yes, I still have my starstruck moment and I think that incident itself will not recover so fast on me. You may think it's just another celebrity, yes she is. Diana Krall is a human too but ... what I found interesting in this incident is what my friend was looking for. From the first day we mentioned about the concert, she saw nothing but her signed CDs. She talked and acted as if Diana Krall was going to sign her CDs. And looked at what we've got? Not only the autographs but we MET, TALKED, and ARE in a photo together.

What my friend saw all along was the signed CDs but the universe has rewarded her persistence in perspective with a chance to interact and simply be present with the star. And I was just happened to be under the radar coverage that silly and skeptic me had the chance to tap on her gift from the universe.

Back to the message - what we see depends mainly on what we look for. From now, try instill the habit of asking yourself in the mind ... "At this moment, what am I looking for?". For example, how many times you found yourself doing things for the sake of doing without knowing why you are doing it. You simply take the activity as a chore. But if you have a specific "thing" to look for, you may be surprised with what you found. If you are in a meeting and what you are looking for subconsciously is a piece of boredom, then no surprise that's how you'd feel. If you think you'll find a new friend in that meeting, naturally, you will find a new friend there.

From now on, let's set in our mind's eyes that we only want to look for things that we want to. Don't accept anything lesser than that, unless, that's what you are looking for. You won't know what you'll get, you may just get what you wish for and more. :-)

2 comments:

Desertnut said...

So true! Great post!

D.D. said...

thank you for dropping by, Linda!!! :D:D:D And thanks for the comment!