Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Are You Sure They Are Your Friends?

Have you ever wondered who your friends really are?
Have you ever tried to define what "friends" really are?

I have people who told me "you are a friend" but never once asked me how I am doing ... will that be a type of friend? -> TRUE STORY. I also have people who only come to me when they have problems ... I swear it's true. No problems, no need to talk to Donna. So, am I really their friends?

Let me check the dictionary based on reference.com:

friend
noun
1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony.
3. a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile: Who goes there? Friend or foe?
4. a member of the same nation, party, etc.
5. ( initial capital letter ) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker.

Whatever definitions you want to give, your heart will know. 

My friend, Laura shared this today on her Facebook:

"You just listen to your own heart. That is your teacher." - OSHO

I can relate to that statement strongly. Because no matter how hard I am trying to justify a friendship, my heart ultimately knows who the right ones are:
  • They are the ones who pick you up when you are down.
  • They are the ones who pop by for no reason and ask - how are you doing? Ca va?
  • They are the ones with so much patience that even you behave like an a******, they still tolerate and accept you the way you are. Of course they hate you at that moment but they will come back and give you a hug afterwards.
  • They are the ones who don't only look for you when they are down but also share their triumphs and nonsenses with you.
  • They are the ones who need you, not because they are lonely and needy but because they just feel good around you. 

In the end, "friend" is just a label. How do you want to define and justify it, it's really up to you. What I know for sure, be very mindful of the people you call "friends". What are they to you? Who are they to you? Will they be there when you really need them the most? If not, are you sure they are your friends? Or are they simply a "label" for easy reference?