Tuesday, August 14, 2012

SEM and SEO

Search engine marketing (SEM), a term that was almost unheard of in the in the early 2000s, now it has become one of the crucial element for any websites (commercial or personal) to establish themselves in the online world. I used to know very little about it however even up to now, it's like an entire universe on its own and the mastery of it comes with time.To simplify, it is a type of internet marketing that involves the creation of awareness of websites by increasing their appearances through search engines. The better the optimization, the more prominent your websites will be shown in the search results. However this type marketing doesn't limit itself only to online tactics, SEM also reaches out to more eyeballs through offline advertising.

Recently another term has been introduced - local search engine optimization (local SEO) - which has the purpose of increasing visibility for businesses interested to be discovered through geographically related keywords. So, if you have a website that's targeted only to the city that you live in, you have to make sure the keywords that you use are very niche to your target market. 

Instead of doing everything on your own, there are local search optimization companies that specialize in creating such strategies.You can really save a lot of time from the trial and error of which keywords are the most optimized for your needs. However, they may not come cheaply either.

When it comes to my own blog, I did think of exploring into the world of SEO, however not only I have not really dabbled into it in details but also I have no idea what my niche will be. It's hard to label something that's not specific. Since I'm tend to blog only when the thunder of inspirations strikes, I guess I simply let nature takes its course. :) But I do believe I will be embarking on the SEO journey in the near future. It has always been something that I put off for quite sometimes. Procrastination really gets the best of us, sometimes. Hope it won't be for too long. :p


1 comment:

SEO Singapore said...

both are sound techniques to better your ranking