Friday, August 3, 2012

Singapore Hidden Gem - Mdm. Saripah (The Artist Along Orchard Road)

Recently, I have been meeting many earthly angels in the form of "strangers" from all sort of places - hawker center, on the bus, in a cab, in a restaurant, etc. The "chosen" place this time, at the bus stop along Orchard Road. There is no coincidence, I really believe by now, I was "guided" to be at that bus stop at that perfect timing. Now, I know why.

I walked closer to the bus stop, to check how the route was going to be after a newly appointed "concierge" of mine has assisted me with the bus selections. I passed a lady bending down, seemed to be selecting some bookmarks from a Makcik (a Malay term which means aunty) in her tudung (a type of scarf worn around the head by the Muslim ladies). 

"Looks interesting.", I thought to myself. I approached the Makcik after checking out the route and told her I would be interested to see more of the bookmarks. $2 each, I could buy some and give to my friends.

"Sit down here. You can choose." - she asked me to sit by her side. I obliged.

"Makcik, you painted all these ah?" - choosing ... choosing ... so many of them.

"Yah lah. What to do? Can't find job. I draw faces too. See, I take photo of people, the next day, you can collect the painting." 

"Wow. Nice leh, Makcik! Talented siah!"

"No lah. Making a living only. Are you a teacher?"

"No lah, Makcik. Why teacher?"

"Cause normally, teachers support my work. I used to sell at Arab Street. But someone stole my hand phone, and you see, I am using tongkat (walking stick), injured my leg. Difficult to walk."

"Alamak! So terrible these people!"

"Yah lor ... horrible lah these people. They know I can't run. So, I jadi (become) victim lah."

"So now, Orchard Road okay?"

"Okay lah. Still have to be careful. You don't know siapa baik, siapa jahat (who is good, who is bad)?"

"Iya, Makcik. Harus hati-hati (Must be careful). Today you are not drawing cartoon?"

"No have. I lagi puasa (am fasting). No strength. So, I just sit down here and sell."

"Oh ya! Sebentar lagi sudah mau buka puasa ya (In a while more, you can break fast, right)?"

"Yes. Mosque is just behind. Very convenient."

Done selecting. "Makcik, I want these 5." 

"Thank you so much. You buy 5, I give you one more free lah."

"No need lah!"

"Need! Take one more!"

I obliged - "Thank you, Makcik!"

"Thank you. You are so kind. Blessed your heart." She put her palm on my heart when she said that and asked,"What's your religion?"

"I believe in all, Makcik. Greedy lah!"

"Haha."

"My bus here liao. You take care Makcik!" I gave her a big hug and waved goodbye. (Good training, BFF, seems like this hugging thing is catching on me pretty well now.)

Mdm. Saripah, not sure if I have spelled her name correctly. Easily above 50 years old. Creating something out of nothing and trying her best to make a living. A woman of faith who still chooses to fast despite her physical and working condition. Truly admirable.

I wish I could do more. I really wish, I could.

Thank you for showing me how the $10 spent in supporting your creativity, has given me the indescribable feeling of fulfillment to my soul. 

Sharing one of the quote Mdm. Saripah wrote on one of the bookmark, my favourite:

"The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water; 
but to walk on the earth." 

Indeed, I walked and what a privilege to have met you, Makcik.
 Thanks for the quotes. You know how much I love quotes, don't you? :)


 

PS. If I have spelled her name wrongly and any of you know the correct way of spelling it, please let me know. I will rectify it. I know she has a cartoonist nickname too. I forgot what it was. Her initial is "AL" in all her drawings.

Do support her if you pass by her. She seems to be hovering around Knightsbridge (After Paragon) and The Heeren. Merci.

No comments: