Wednesday, January 17, 2007

THE Egg Tart

So, this is my first time to Macau. Let me write down the date clearly as it's an historical event for me. It's 7th of January 2007. Why is it so important? Because out of so many times I've been to Hong Kong, this is the first time I've actually boarded to the boat and stepped on Macau's land. Thanks to my new friend from Hong Kong, Maria and my not so new friend also from Hong Kong, Christine to make this happen. (Though .... there was a "tragedy" caused by Christine as to why I didn't manage to step to Macau last time though I already have the ticket on hand!! Well, let me say, I'll keep it as a "mystery" for now) :p

As Maria keeps emphasizing that "Macau is very small. You can discover everything about it in a short time." I'm not sure whether I'm agreeable with her :o ... but honestly it's quite small. We could walk to the same place for 2-3x without us realizing. But regarding discovering it in short time hhmmm ... I believe in ABUNDANCE and I think there are always more to see every time anywhere on this earth. There's always something to new to be discovered.

After we have clarified certain things from Macau Tourism Centre at the terminal (hmmm ... I hope I have named it correctly), our first stop is to discover the legendary "PORTUGUESE EGG TART".

We took a cab from the terminal. It was pretty near ... (remember what Maria said before? :p) ... Once we were there, no one miss the egg tart. How does it look like? Here it is ...



Well, sorry for the incomplete photo. Whenever I'd like to take a photo of any food items, I always realize it after I've eaten it. Hence the ugly view .... and I sincerely apologize for that.

Most importantly, how's the egg tart? My verdict is HEAVENLY. Accompanied with either hot tea (without milk is my preferred one) or hot coffee (not for me though), it's just PERFECT!!!!!!!!!

Hey ... I've talked so much about the egg tart but where's this place actually? Errrrrrrr ..... I don't really have the address (I'll try to Google it later :o) but I did take a photo of the small cosy cafe called Margaret's Cafe e Nata and it's behind some alleys and some shop houses. (Hmm .. better ask the taxi driver for direction than rely on my memory)



I just found out there are different type of egg tarts. Hong Kong style vs Portuguese style. My personal favourite is still Portuguese style (with a bit of burnt smell ... delicious). If you are really interested to know more about the difference, Wikipedia has provided us with all that we need to know. I love internet. :p

As for the exact location of where this great egg tart lies ... I found a website that has it. Phew.

Here you go:
Margaret's Café and Nata [Macau Peninsular]
One of the best egg tart bakeries in the city
Address: Edif. Kam Loi, Nam Van area

But honestly and secretly ... I still prefer Singapore's egg tart. Which one? I'll tell you more at "DD Discovers Singapore" next time. :-).

26/01/07
Just realised I do have the address for THE egg tart place. Here you go. :-) How come different from the one I posted above? Oppps ... May be when you are there, you should try both. :p


2 comments:

zodiak aka Rui said...

These egg tarts are based on a centuries-old Portuguese Recipe. The Portuguese version is healthier then the egg tart and it's called a NATA. I know it's confusing, but the "portuguese egg tart" is different from a "nata" and that coffeeshop you went to has the name "nata" but they don't really sell "natas"... There's a place in Macau selling the genuine natas and they are really great. Everytime i'm in Macau I pop by the cafe and have a bunch with my family. For me the portuguese NATA tastes much better. This is the only place you can get in Asia them as far as I know.

The coffeeshop is called CUPPACOFFEE and is in Taipa Island... let me get the card: R. Fernao Mendes Pinto, 104 near a chinese cafe everyone knows called Hei Lin (you can mention that name to the taxi driver).

Barry,
UK

D.D. said...

Thank you so much, Barry! I wish I could have got it earlier as it's quite unlikely I'll be going to Macau again. :-(
Well, I hope others will benefit from what you've shared. Now I'm so intrigued of how Nata tastes like. Urgh!!!