Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Can You Be Like Them?

It's the first time in my life that I've ever cried and consumed 6 tissues after watching a video. And it's not even some sad story, it's the other way round.

Some of you may have known that I'm a big fan of Oprah Winfrey. And this post is again related to one of her show - "Building a Dream: The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy". But before you turn your back around and be biased after hearing her name for whatever preconceived ideas you may have about her such as, she can do things because she's rich, she appeals only to auntie auntie's group, etc. I am begging you to just continue reading and discover that it's not really about how much she has and what she's doing with the money ... it's about 152 girls that may just change the way you look at life and most importantly, the way you look at yourself.

Brief Introduction
In 2001, Oprah told Nelson Mandela (former South Africa president), that she'd like to build a school for girl leaders. She'll commit US$10 million. And o
n the 6th of December 2002, she started to build her promise and that project has consumed $40 million instead on 52 acres of land. The rest is history. Out of 3000 applicants, only 152 were chosen. Their lives will never ever be the same again.

For the CNN coverage on this you can check out this link on Youtube..

Enough about her and her project. She's great. And believe most people know that.

What I'd like to touch on are a few of the girls whom have "spoken" to me and touched my heart the moment I laid my eyes on them.

Who Are The Chosen 152?

They are few of the brightest girls from South Africa who not only posses leadership potential but also great academic result. Most of them stays at very terrible neighbourhood. (That's one of the criteria to receive the scholarship to the Leadership Academy. The girls must be under privileged.)

So it'll not be surprising if you hear the following comments from them about their background:
  1. There are 30 families in this neighbourhood and we only have 1 toilet
  2. When I walk back from school everyday I pray to God that I will not be raped and abused in this dangerous neighbourhood
  3. There's no in-house plumbing, so we have to carry big pail of water on our head every day (Oprah tried half of the pail and couldn't do it. She couldn't even fake it. She felt like she's going to break her neck!)
  4. My parents are dead because of HIV/AIDS
  5. I'm sharing a room with mom, dad, etc and I've to sleep on the hard cold floor
What's So Special About Them?

After understanding a bit of their background, and how they normally live their life, I'd like to invite you to what they say when they are being interviewed:
  1. Lesego: The book I'm reading right now is Charles Dickens' The Great Expectations. I love that book it's really fantastic. It's got the edge to it. I love mathematics. Not knowing the answer just turns me on.
  2. Thando: I want to be an actress. I see myself living the life that I've always dream. I want to work hard and be the best that I can be
  3. Zodwa: I wanna be a leader. I believe in girl power. I believe that girls can do whatever boys can do. I believe in myself.
  4. Sade (12 yrs old): I want to find the cure for AIDS because most of the people in my community are affected by HIV.
  5. Megan & Sade (sisters, whose mom was shot by their dad and then dad shot himself in front of them when they are 6 & 5 yrs old respectively). This is what they've got to say - Megan: if we get picked in, we will work hard and succeed in life. Sade: Don't say if we get picked in, I know I'm in and both of us are in. I'm not angry with father because I know God has a reason. Just remember the good times not the bad.
I guess I don't even need to end this story as you all should have known that those girls are among the 152. They are embarking to a world that they used to dream of and now it's their reality.

The point is this ... how can you not be amazed by their attitude towards life and especially towards themselves. What they have gone through are not even on par with what we are going through. It's tougher and more humanly unimaginable. But yet they still have high hopes. Big dreams. Unlimited gratitude and humility. Confidence and sincerity.

My wish for all of you who are reading this is to stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself that you are great and that all dreams are still possible. And nothing in this world is tough unless you label it as tough.

Videos

If you'd like to see personally the interviews of some of the chosen girls, you can go to this link. You'll meet all the girls I mentioned above plus additional - Mahlatse - the only girl that wears specs (I can relate to that when I was 3 years old) due to no electricity in the house and she loves to read with only one candle lit. (MAN!!)

If you are counting the 10 key words I've given you in the email and wondering where's keywords #9: Mariah Carey, Chris Rock & Mary J. Blige. You'll be able to see them with your own eyes on this video below.



Enjoy! And always live your greatest life every second. No compromise! Like the girls.



Image source: http://boutique.oprah.com/product/show/5830


1 comment:

= Christine = said...

Another unforgettable session from Oprah!